Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Word 2013

In the last couple weeks, as bloggers have been doing their seasonal posts about goals for the new year, I have several times run across an idea that resonates with me more than New Year's Resolution suggestions generally do. The idea is simple: you choose a single word for the year. A word that will remind you of your focus and that is more of an over arching theme than a goal in and of itself.

I liked this idea and a few days after I first heard of it a word did suggest itself. . . so my word of the year is--

Progression.

We've made some good changes in 2012, H and I, both as a couple and individually, and I'd like to continue to explore along the new paths forged rather than setting a goal of taking off in yet more directions.

For instance, my reading has changed in the last year, specifically my online reading. I've become much more selective about what I give my attention to, prioritizing things more according to the effect they have on me. I used to have a higher tolerance for reading things that bored, irritated, or depressed me, because I told myself I cared about the subject matter or that it was important to me to keep up with some trend or controversy. But if you consistently read things that bore, irritate, or depress you, guess what happens? You become a bored, irritable, depressed person. So what is your net gain? Negative something or other. I deleted about a million feeds from my google reader, cleaned out my list of email subscriptions, and have become increasingly choosy about the books I read as well. I want to invest my limited reading time in things that genuinely nurture, inspire, intrigue, and enlighten. Things that make for a feeling of peace.

I also quit facebook in 2012. See paragraph above on prioritizing what I give my reading time and attention to. The reason I stuck around on facebook as long as I did is because I thought it was the simplest way to keep in touch with people I might lose track of otherwise. . . but it dawned on me that the people I really care about keeping in touch with, I talk to outside of facebook. I've found that since I left facebook life seems a bit different, a little slower and less cluttered. It's a good feeling. I don't intend to go back in 2013, that's for sure.

Okay, I need to be less wordy on each of the changes I'm discussing because this post is turning too long and time consuming. Streamline, Leah.

I want to continue incorporating creativity and deeper journaling into my daily life.

Continue blogging.

Become a more integrated member of the little local church congregation we joined.

Continue spiritually searching, being honest about doubt, thankful for faith, real with God and when discussing God.

There are more things I could write about, but you get the drift. It's a good drift, and I want to keep with it.

Progression.

P.S. Check out the One Word 365 Community. Consider writing your own post and linking up! 


6 comments:

  1. I suppose my word for this year is 'dream'. And you're so right about being picky about what you read especially while blog-hopping. I have quite a small list that I read regularly otherwise it takes over your life! And I never joined Facebook...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dream is a good word. And congrats on never joining facebook, that's potentially one less thing to quit someday. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your word! I also went through and cleaned out my online reading last year (especially my Google reader) and took out any blogs that made me feel negative in anyway, including jealousy. The blogs I am subscribed to now all uplift and encourage me.

    I can't wait to see the impact your word has on your year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I wondered why I stopped seeing any facebook posts from you! But it sounds like you are making some good changes for yourself. I may not speak up much on your blog, but I am keeping up with it. :) I like your art journalism. It's fun to follow, and watch how your artwork has already grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kalee! Thanks so much for continuing to read and for commenting. It's great to hear from you. :) We need to hang out IRL sometime.

      Delete