Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Virgin a Day-- Magnificat and 12 stars


The Holy Virgin is taking over my art journal. In a way, this is so funny. I was not even intending on participating in "A Virgin a Day" more than that one time. I am not even Catholic! lol. But when I sat down at my art journal yesterday, this is what happened.

I think it is because I have been so captivated by all the inspiring tributes I'm finding on blogs participating in A Virgin a Day. As a result, the Magnificat has been kicking around in my head for the last 24 hours, and when presented with a blank white page in my journal, that is what demanded to be written. And that's what art journaling is all about, right? Go with the flow, go with the flow. In a way, it can be like a spiritual practice of it's own. So I scribbled down the ESV rendition of the Magnificat with a red gel pen, which forms the text you see behind the painting, writing the words "blessed" ("all generations will call me blessed") and "forever" ("to Abraham and to his offspring forever") large. Then I did some doodling with a led pencil, just for a change, and painted/colored the rest with neocolor pastels over that. (It's a little bit greener in real life than it is in the picture. My photographer is at his day job this morning so I had to take the picture myself.)

There are twelve penciled stars in the upper left hand corner. I was thinking of the twelve stars from the stunning passage in Revelation:

"And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth. And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his head seven diadems. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it. She gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she is to be nourished 1,260 days." 

Revelation 12:1-6


17 comments:

  1. Nice work here. Um, you have three under 3? Oh my, what a brave person you are. And busy I bet. I scrolled through some of your journal pages. Nice work. I can see hidden talent itching to come to the front. Keep journaling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, few people could think I'm as crazy as I do. ;) But yep, I have a two year old and a seven month old and a third one due in May! Embracing the journey. :)

      Delete
  2. Magical the way She happens, isn't it?
    Pretty picture♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing when we start how everything falls magically into place!

    Sweet dreams,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometime it hits us when we least expect it. I love this journey Rebecca has provided for us all. Happy Mary Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your journal says it all "blessed forever"..
    thank you for blossoming in the garden of mary love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. magnificance.. you she your 3 under 3!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so wonderfully spiritual and creative ~ wonderful work ~ blessings to you ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this is just lovely and I thank you for writing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderfully - when we open the door and take the first step, the path appears

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely beautiful. I have a feeling She isn't finished with you yet, whether you be Catholic or not. We are all Her children.

    Peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you are right. :) I like that thought.

      Delete
  11. She has a way of really getting into our hearts, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your journaling and making art that manifests your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Magnificat is deeply meaningful to me and I love how you made an art journal page out of it. I'm glad you are participating here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome. :) Yes, some of the most beautiful words ever spoken. I love the sort of very gentle thundering effect they have.

      Delete